(December 17, 1842 - December 17, 1922)
Private, Co. F, 1st Delaware Infantry

Citation: Capture of flag

     "John B. Maberry" was born December 17, 1841, in Smyrna, Delaware the son of John and Temperance Brockson Maberry. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted in Co. C, 1st Delaware Regiment under "Col. Henry Hayes Lockwood" in Wilmington, Delaware on August 21, 1861. He was noted as being 5' 7" tall, light complexioned with light hair. The unit was transferred to Fortress Monroe, Virginia where they fought in the Battle of Chantilly on September 1, 1862.

     The 1st Delaware Regiment then found itself assigned with "General George B. McClellan" who was moving to intercept Rebel "Robert E. Lee" as he advanced into Maryland. They met at a place by the Antietam creek called Sharpsburg, Maryland.

     After Antietam the regiment marched via Harper's Ferry to Fredericksburg where it went into battle in December as part of the 3rd Division of "General Winfield Hancock's 2nd Corps".

     "Maberry's" deed of valor came on the third day of the Battle of Gettysburg. There the 1st Delaware Regiment was a part of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Smyth's 2nd Brigade, Brig. General Henry Hays's 3rd Division of Major General Hancock's II Corps.

     This day, July 3, 1863, the 1st Delaware was placed on Cemetery Ridge behind a short stone wall. About .9 of a mile in front, the Rebels were forming and preparing for what was to become known as "Pickett's Charge". Finally, after a long bombardment the solid gray line of 15,000 men came into view and advanced.

     "Col. Thomas Smyth" ordered the 1st Delaware to hold their fire until the Rebels were only 50 yards away. Then "Open Fire!" was the command and the four lines of soldiers let loose with a volley. The deadly fire stunned the Rebels but they still kept coming and falling. Finally, the charge faltered some 40 feet in front of the Delaware men.

     Regimental Commander "Lieutenant William Smith" led a countercharge as the 1st Delaware men jumped over the wall. Lt. Smith was later found dead with his sword in one hand and a captured flag in the other. "Private Maberry" was luckier than most as he and fellow Delawarean "Corporal Bernard McCarren" both captured battle flags. "Private Maberry" that of the 7th North Carolina and "Corporal Bernard McCarren" that of the 13th Alabama.

     "Maberry", along with "McCarren", received his medal one year, four months and 28 days after his heroic deed. By that time he had been promoted to sergeant. He later suffered a head wound during the Battle of the Wilderness and was hospitalized in Washington, D.C. for a while. After enduring the seige of Petersburg, Virginia, "Maberry" was mustered out of service on July 15, 1865, when he returned to his home in Smyrna, Delaware.

     "Maberry" was a farmer after the war and married twice. First he married Sarah E. Collins who died after the birth of their 6th child in 1883. He later married Susan Patterson and they had 3 more children. In 1912, after becoming too old to farm, Maberry moved to New Street in Dover from his farm at Pearson's Corner. His second wife, Susan died before him during 1922. He died in Dover that same year as his wife on his 81st birthday, December 17, 1922. He was interred with both of his wives and also with his medal in the Glenwood Cemetery in Smyrna, Delaware.

     On April 19, 2003 a State of Delaware historical marker and new military headstone were placed in "Sergeant John B. Maberry's" honor in the Glenwood Cemetery. The marker was placed near his grave but may, at some future date, be moved near the entrance of the cemetery.

"New Military Headstone"

" April 19, 2003 "

"Family Headstone"

" New State Historical Marker "

"Click Here" for John B. Maberry's Find A Grave record.


Email any questions or comments to:
Russ Pickett by "Clicking Here"

Last update: 7/15/2007