( pronounced as Speedie Marinade )
If you don't know what " Speidie Marinade " is then you've never been to Binghamton, New York ( the captial of Speidie's ). It's one of the " best marinades " you'll ever taste for chicken and pork cooked on a grill. ( My favorite way on the grill is on Chicken pieces, cubed pork, and Pork Ribs ).
Every year in Binghamton there is a " week long Speidie Festival " and during the year about 1/4 of all the restaurants in Binghamton serve some type of meat marinaded in " Speidie ".
The below recipe is from one of the past " winners " of the yearly competion that is held.
" If you don't try this you are really missing out on something GREAT ! "
- ( below mixture good for 3 lbs., or less, of meat )
- 1/3 - cup of oil
- 1/3 - cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 - teaspoon of salt
- 1 - teaspoon of dried Basil
- 1 - teaspoon of dried, crushed, Rosemary
- 1 - large dried, crushed, bay leaf
- 1 - teaspoon of Celery Salt
- 2 - teaspoon of Garlic Salt
- 1/2 - teaspoon of Pepper
- Gallon size freezer bags for marinating
- Cut chicken or pork into small pieces to later stick on wooden or metal skewers.
If using pork ribs cut into 2 or 3 rib sections
( Remove the thin, translucent membrane because it’s tough and will prevent any flavouring to get to the rib meat )
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and stir.
- Place cut up meat into a gallon freezer bag(s).
- Pour mixture into each bag on the meat and mix well.
- Marinate over night in the refrigerator ( at least for 12 hours ... 24 hours recommended ).
- Grill and Enjoy !
Tips & Ideas:
- The meat can be placed on a bun with or without cheese, fried onions, fried green peppers, or even mushrooms ( something like a Philly Cheesesteak is dressed ) ... Some folks even like to add hot grilled jalapeño peppers to this sandwich !
- My favorite way to serve them is " simple on the skewers " ( no bread to get in the way of the flavor )
with a side of " Grilled Zucchini " cooked with an oil and garlic salt mixture on them
and " Corn on the Cob " - and that my friend is a meal " MADE IN HEAVEN " !
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~