I orginally found this recipe on the internet years ago. Over time I've, as always, modified it and I think I've made it a little better ..... If you like the taste of Mexican Food then I'm sure you'll love " Mexican Lasagna " just like everyone in my family does ..... There are multiple options you can try when making this ..... See the recipe below for more.
For another taste of " Ole Mexico " you can also try my:
- 2 - 16 oz. boxes of Mrs. T 's frozen Pierogies - ( Our favorite is the Loaded Baked Potatoe ) - ( see Tip #1 )
- 1 to 2 - lb. of ground burger
- 1 - small onion - ( chopped - optional )
- 2 - packages of taco seasoning - ( your choice of mild or hot )
- 2 - 16 oz. jars of Salsa - ( your choice of mild or hot ) - ( see Tip #2 )
- 2 - cups of shredded Mexican Taco Cheese - ( or shredded Monterey Jack Cheese )
- 2 - cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 - crushed tortilla chips
- 3/4 - cup of water
- Salt & Pepper - ( to taste - however I never see the need for any )
- Cooking Spray - ( like Pam )
- Aluminum Foil - ( unless you have a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with a lid )
- In a large pot heat up the water to cook the pierogies. - ( follow directions on the package for cooking ) - Once cooked drain pierogies.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 12" skillet over medium high heat cook the onion and ground burger.
- Once the burger is cooked drain off any grease and leave cooked burger in the skillet.
- Add the taco seasoning and water to the cooked burger, stir, and cook on low heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once the burger and taco seasoning has cooked, remove from heat, and stir in both jars of " salsa ".
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Spoon 1/3 of the burger mixture into the baking dish. Top with half ( 12 ) of the pierogies then top with 1/2 of both cheeses.
- Then spoon 1/3 of the burger mix over the cheese and top with remaining 12 pierogies.
- Spoon in the remaining 1/3 burger mix over the pierogies and then top with remaining cheese.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for " 15 minutes ".
- Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional " 10 minutes " or until mixture bubbles.
- Let it sit on stove for about " 10 minutes " .... Then Enjoy !
There are about " 12 Different Kinds " of Mrs. T's Pierogies available ... some would go with this dish .... and some probably wouldn't. You decide which you'd like to use and pictures of my suggestions are below.
We've tried a lot of different " Salsa's " in this recipe however our favorite by far is " Paul Newman's Mild Salsa ".
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~