I originally found this recipe in multiple places on the web ..... After making them the first time I had to change a little here and there ( as I always seem to do ) to come up with this final recipe. This is a great snack to have around for family and friend holiday gathers, when friends come over for dinner, or just to have out when friends are over for a visit ..... then again they are just great to have around for yourself to enjoy !
Normally when I make these my wife isn't very far away and of course she always has to sneek a few while they are still warm and cooling after coming out of the slow cooker ..... Friends that try them are more than likely to ask for this recipe ..... These are a great treat for sure !
- 4 ~ cups of pecan halfs
- 1 ~ cup of sugar
- 1 ~ cup of brown sugar
- 3 ~ egg whites
- 3 ~ Tablespoons of cinnamon
- 21/2 ~ teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 ~ teaspoon of salt
- 3 ~ Tablespoons of water
- cooking spray
- In a large bowl whisk together egg whites and vanilla until foamy.
- In another bowl combine white and brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add pecans to the egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Then add cinnamon sugar mixture to the bowl of pecans and toss to coat.
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray. ~ ( See Tip #1 for oven cooking )
- Transfer coated nuts to the slow cooker.
- Cook nuts on low for 3-1/2 hours ~ stirring every 20-30 minutes.
- After they're done cooking, add water and stir ~ ( This step is important for slow cooker ~ don't skip ).
- Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet and allow to cool completely
( It could take up to an hour or two for all of the sugar to crystalize )
- Store in airtight container and keep at room temperature.
( They are good for up to a week )
- Then .....
- For cooking in the " OVEN " instead of the slow cooker .....
- Preheat oven to 325o.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and then spread pecans in a single layer on the sheet.
- Bake until toasted and crisp, about 20 minutes turning them over after the first 10 minutes.
- After cooking, using a spatula, immediately loosen pecans from cookie sheet and let them cool.
- After cooling you can put them in a large plastic container, cover and refrigerate.
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~